In honor of its 15th anniversary, IMDB has asked its editors to list their top fifteen movies over the last 15 years. Darren and Girish compiled their lists the other day, and as promised, here’s my Top 15 list. Like Darren and Girish, I’m breaking the rules a bit in naming more than 15 films. I did try to list a few films that other folks didn’t mention. So here’s my list, in no particular order (unlike Darren and Girish, I’m too lazy to alphebetize by director or film title).
- John Sayles, Lone Star/City of Hope.
- Fernando Meirelles, City of God
- Errol Morris, The Fog of War, Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control
- Spike Lee, 25th Hour
- Atom Egoyan, Ararat, Exotica, Sweet Hereafter
- Agnes Varda, Les glaneurs et la glaneuse
- Wong Kar Wei, Chungking Express
- Julie Dash, Daughters of the Dust
- Krzysztof Kieslowski, Red, Blue, and White (in that order, but I adore all three films).
- Richard Linklater, Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (speaking of Linklater, I’d forgotten that he’s directing Fast Food Nation.
- Abbas Kiarostami, A Taste of Cherry and Ten
- Jim Jarmusch, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (given its popularity with Girish and Darren, I need to give Dead Man another chance
- Wayne Wang, Smoke
- Michel Gondry/Charlie Kaufman, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Jem Cohen, Chain
I also considered a few others: Dark City, Primer (I need to see it again first), Boogie Nights and Magnolia, Bottle Rocket, Short Cuts, Wonder Boys (a potential guilty pleasure film), Lovely & Amazing, Safe and Far From Heaven, Code 46 (which I also need to see again), Three Kings, and Until the End of the World. Comments? Observations?